Login to Submit an Abstract
IFoRE provides students unique opportunities to network with peers, improve their research, learn invaluable science communication skills, and discover future opportunities by connecting with school programs and professionals in their field. Students who present their research, either orally or in poster form, have the opportunity to win awards, including cash prizes, paid membership dues, and induction into Sigma Xi.
IFoRE accepts submissions in most areas of research. We recommend you review all categories and select one that best describes your project. Judges will be assigned based on the categories listed below. Students may compete in one of 13 disciplne-specific research categories.
Disciplinary Research Categories:
- Agriculure, Soil, and Natural Resources
- Cell Biology and Biochemistry
- Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
- Environmental Sciences
- Human Behavioral and Social Sciences
- Math and Computer Science
- Microbiology and Molecular Biology
- Physics and Astronomy
- Physiology and Immunology
Interdisciplinary Research Awards:
In addition to the discipline-specific research categories, students may select an interdisciplinary category if their research project contributes to developing solutions for any of the following national or global pressing issues. A designated panel of judges will evaluate these projects and select the top ten presentations to receive $200 Interdisciplinary Research Awards.
- Understanding the Universe (Astronomy and Space Sciences)
- Biology and Biotechnology (Understanding the Brain, Origins of Life (Assembling Tree of Life), Understanding Biological Systems)
- Environmental Challenges (Providing Access to Clean Water, Mitigating Climate Change, Food Security, Managing the Nitrogen Cycle, Sustaining Clean Air, Preserving Biodiversity)
- Human Health (Advancing Drug Design and Limiting Drug Resistance, Advancing Health Informatics, Advancing Vaccines, Preventing Pandemics, Cancer Detection and Therapy)
- Advances in Computation (Cyber Security, Quantum Computing, Artificial Intelligence)
- Engineering (Making Solar Energy Affordable, Engineering Tools for Scientific Discoveries such as Lasers, Cameras, or Software)
- Design, Construction, and Manufacturing (Improving Urban Infrastructure, Innovations in Manufacturing, Advanced Materials)
- Critical Breakthroughs (Energy from Fusion)
- Tools for Science, Education, and Personalized Learning
- Human Sciences and Policy
September 15, 2023
Note: Oral presentations will be held on Friday, November 10. Please schedule your travel accordingly.
Sigma Xi offers financial assistance for students to help offset some of the costs of attending IFoRE. Financial aid is need-based and contingent on application review. Please follow the link for more information to apply.